|Visit to see Dr. Nelson|
We just wanted to update all of you on what our neurologist said yesterday. Our bishop who is a doctor got us an appointment with a great pediatric neurologist. (McKenzie may be his oldest patient) First of all he looked at the MRI's and did some tests on McKenzie and then said that he didn't see anything serious, which is good. Then he said that we could either redo all the tests or start from where we are. He said the "pictures" looked good, so he felt like we could just go from there:) He said sometimes our bodies just start in this cycle of headaches, not necessarily for any reason, but that it is not unusual for someone to have a series of headaches that lasts for up to eight weeks and then starts to slowly subside on its own. There can be all different kinds of reasons for it but we never really know why. He also said that taking the pain medications as she has been can actually begin to "cause" the headaches. So here is how we will begin treatment:
1. Get off all of the pain medications and muscle relaxants. (essentially everything she was taking before)
2. Get on a routine schedule. He told her that even if she doesn't sleep at night, she still needs to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
3. When she has the headaches, she needs to do something active, like going on a walk etc, not getting back in bed.
4. He started her on a medication called "Topimax" which is to help prevent the headaches. He said it takes up to a month to start working and that it will probably cause her to be drowsy at night. She was happy about that:)
5. He suggested "massage therapy" for her neck and shoulders. Our neighbor is a massage therapist and will begin with McKenzie tonight:) He also suggested acupuncture or any natural means of controlling the soreness.
6. He prescribed something for her to take if the nausea got so bad that she was throwing up, but didn't want her to use it, if not.
|Maddie taking care of big sister:)|
Thanks again for all the love and support:)
|High School & College Friends Who Came to Visit|
|Family & Friends|