Monday, January 14, 2013

"Faith in Every Footstep"

My sweet friend Kiley!!!
Hi Family & Friends!

Where do I even begin?

First of all, thank you so much for all of the notes of encouragement and advice. I opened my email inbox to find 41 emails! I couldn't believe it. (Mom is at her best, as always.) THANK YOU for all your remedies and testimonies.

Stranger in the park:)
This week has been another roller coaster. I really feel like Heavenly Father has been putting my faith to the test and to be honest, I don't know if I have been exercising it the best that I know how. It's interesting to me to have seen so many people go through this process of trial and tribulation and not understand why they acted the way that they did, and now I understand. Sometimes things are just HARD and we ask "Why me?" (Yup, I'm guilty of this). But Sister Rowe taught me something this week and I have seen it testified again and again in the emails you sent. I need to see that it is how I ACT according to the trials I have been given that will shape me, not the actual trials themselves. Sister Rowe counseled me that it is like the trial of Abraham. He was asked to sacrifice his only son: the son that he had prayed and fasted for and did he waver in his faith? No. He was fulling willing to do what the Lord had asked him, right down to the second when he was going to plunge his knife into his sweet child.

Even though right now I can't see how this sickness plays into my loving Heavenly Father's plan for me, HE KNOWS.  Since I understand that He knows, that's the only thing I can count on and that is what I am going to put my faith in. As I've been thinking of how I can better show my faith I came up with a little saying:

" It is NOT important if we are healed or if we are not: It IS important if we let our faith Grow or if we let it Rot."

 This week is going to be a week of decisions. I know you have all been so incredible to include me in your prayers, but if you could do one more thing I would be so grateful. Please pray for me to have peace with the decisions that are made, no matter what they are. I am no longer going to pray to be healed, but to ask the Lord to do for me what He did for the people of Alma in Mosiah 24:12:

 "... yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

Sister Rowe, my companion:)
  
I know that Heavenly Father loves us. I know that He has a plan. I know it. I have to remind myself of that every day that I am here, but I can also see little blessings He has given me to show that He is mindful of me:

1. The timing of all of this: that I am able to be staying at the mission home without a companion and have access to all the medical help I need.

2. Sister Rowe. She is acting as my best friend, my mom and my companion and I couldn't ask for a better example. I will never resent the time that I have had to spend with her here in her home! She helps me "think up" when I'm down.

President & Sister Rowe and the family:)
3. The Rowe family. The simple things they do and say to make me feel like I am part of their family. Yesterday their 11-year-old son Colton said to me, "I wish I could hug you a lot, but you're a sister missionary."

 It sometimes takes a lot for me to see the bright side of my days, but I know there are ALWAYS things we can be grateful for.

 I love you all. Thank you for all your hope, faith and prayers!

Sestra Giles
We are getting so much snow!!!
Mom Note: Thanks again for all your emails, words of encouragement and prayers in McKenzie's behalf. She is trying to keep her spirits up, but it's hard when she can't get rid of the headache. She still has her sense of humor. I'm glad for that. She says her investigator is her physical therapist:) haha. She was also able to teach a couple discussions in the Rowe's home last week. Although she doesn't feel good she is trying to help out and do what she can. Thanks for sending your love and support her way:) A special thanks to the Rowes for taking such good care of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment