Saturday, July 21, 2012

First Letter /Two Languages

Here is a an update from McKenzie in the MTC:

Hello! Sestra Giles here:) I'm writing the only letter I'm allowed to write when it's not P-day! Our mission president instructed us to let you know that we're here and that we're alive!!! haha.  I am both of these things.

The MTC is good, but yesterday was pretty hard!  We had an exhaustingly long day and we didn't really know what was going on. Luckily I have Sestra Compare. Without her, I don't know if I would have made it through yesterday! We're super close already and I'm so glad she's my companion.

When we got into our classroom yesterday our teachers would only speak Croatian. We were totally guessing/playing charades to try to figure out what they were saying. As we started learning the alphabet our teacher started writing this strange alphabet on the board and then explained that (drum roll please)......we will be learning SERBIAN as well as Croatian! Apparently President Rowe just put sisters in Serbia yesterday, so we're being prepared to serve there as well! Serbian is written in the syrillic alphabet so we're learning 2 alphabets. Needless to say, we're overwhelmed. haha.  Also we are the ONLY croatian-speakers in the whole MTC so we are the only ones in our class, and there are only 4 of us in our district! We're feeling a little lonely, but it's kind of like getting tutored. :) I know things will get better!  I can definitely feel the spirit here!  I love you and miss you!

Love,
Sestra Giles

Note from Mom:  Brother and Sister Henderson from our ward called yesterday to say that McKenzie is in their ward at the MTC.  YAY!!! They said she has a beautiful smile on her face and is radiating the light of the gospel.  They also said that there are two Elders in their district who are going to Slovenia (speaking Slovenian)

1 comment:

  1. How exciting and hard to be learning 2 languages. I know the Lord will bless you to be able to do the work that he has called you to do. we are praying for you.
    Lori Mattson

    ReplyDelete